Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Primary tabs

Graphics Installer 1.0.7 for Linux does'nt recognize Bay Trail graphics on Ubuntu 14.04

9 posts / 0 new
01 Staff's picture
Starter
01 Staff (not verified)

Feb 11, 2015 - 07:01am

• 01 Staff's picture
    01 Staff (not verified)

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my new ACER Travelmate. Afterwards I installed the Graphics installer 1.0.7.

This is a notebook with the the Intel N3540 processor, based on the bay trail platform.

Starting the Graphics Installer results the message box with the content: "You don’t seem to have an Intel i915 chipset so no updates are needed". The main window contains the message: "Checking if Intel graphics card available... Failed"

Listing the PCI-Devices shows following results:

$  lspci -k |grep -C 3 "VGA"
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0e)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0860
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0e)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0860
        Kernel driver in use: i915
    00:13.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0e)

What is going wrong, what can I do to install the latest graphics driver?

regards

Tde

Feb 11, 2015 - 07:01am
  • fledermaus's picture
    fledermaus (not verified)

That is odd. Can you see the contents of /sys/module/i915/initstate ? If so, what does that file say?

Feb 16, 2015 - 11:52am
  • tde's picture
    tde (not verified)

I've found following: There is no directory i915 in /sys/module, but a directory i915_bdw. The content of the file: $ cat /sys/module/i915_bdw/initstate live

Feb 17, 2015 - 08:58am
  • fledermaus's picture
    fledermaus (not verified)

Ah, that will be why. The module you have loaded has had some surgery done on it so the installer
    doesn't reckon you are running an i915-driven system. Hm, this is awkward... I can't think of an easy
    way to create a fake /sys entry... If you like, I can walk you through the steps necessary to do what
    the installer would have done for you by hand.

Feb 17, 2015 - 09:45am
  • tde's picture
    tde (not verified)

Thank you for your fast response!

I 've found the i915_bdw driver is an out-of the box solution of ubuntu 14.04. (see http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY0ODY).

I can't see a way to create a fake /sys entry. I guess the best way would be the manual installation of the i915 driver.

Therefore I need a recipe. Is ther anywhere a site describes the steps for a manual installation?

Otherwise I'd come back to your offer to walk me through the installation steps.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2015 - 11:07am
  • fledermaus's picture
    fledermaus (not verified)

It's pretty straightforward: It's all driven by the configuration here:

If you download that, you'll see a section for trusty:

[Ubuntu trusty]
    source https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/14.04/main
    source trusty
    source main

You put those 3 entries together to make an entry for /etc/apt/sources.list.d/intellinuxgraphics.list

deb https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/14.04/main trusty main

Once that's in place, sudo apt-get update.

Following that you'll see a list of packages: The ones marked with a 'u' or 'i'
    are the ones you want to install (plus one special package for the kernel module),
    so eg:

kernel 3.13 3.16 i i915-3.16-3.13-dkms
    u libgl1-mesa-glx
    u libglapi-mesa
    i libgles1-mesa

would mean:

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgles1-mesa i915-3.16-3.13-dkms

There are a lot more packages in that section, so your actual command line will be longer,
    but you get the idea.

Feb 17, 2015 - 01:59pm
  • tde's picture
    tde (not verified)

I hesitated al little bit to update the system manually. But I've done an it works.

- at first a made a backup of my root partition

- then first I added

deb https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/14.04/main trusty main

to the repository to /etc/apt/sources.lst

- updated the sofware lists

sudo apt-get update

Next I handycrafted the update commnad with a text editor bases on https://download.01.org/gfx/ilg-config.cfg

The result was following:

sudo apt-get install libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgles1-mesa libgles2-mesa libopenvg1-mesa libosmesa6 libwayland-egl1-mesa libxatracker2 xserver-xorg-video-intel libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libva-drm1 libva-egl1 libva-glx1 libva-tpi1 libva-wayland1 libva-x11-1 libva1 va-driver-all vainfo i965-va-driver would-break-abi intel-gpu-tools

I was surpriced - the update worked.

After booting the computer I found, the X-performnce it's better than with the out of the box driver.

The driver works, I found just one "feature": Sometimes the shutdown screen degrades into a "ghost image", but the system does'nt hang, it shuts down a second later. I hope this issue will be solved with the next driver version.

Thank's for your support.

Feb 23, 2015 - 11:50am
  • fledermaus's picture
    fledermaus (not verified)

Great! Glad it all worked. We'll have to see about a more robust method
    for detecting a running i915 system - thanks for reporting the probem.

Feb 26, 2015 - 06:12am
  • tde's picture
    tde (not verified)

This problem doesn't exist by installing Ubuntu 14.04.02. Yesterday I tried this version. The module "i915" is present and the graphics installer works properly. Perhaps also 14.04.01 came with tho original named kernel modul. I made the mistake by installing the basic version of TrustyTahr without a subversion (14.04).

Possibly it isn't worth to adapt the graphics installer to work with a kernel module i915_bdw.

Mar 03, 2015 - 10:19am
  • fledermaus's picture
    fledermaus (not verified)

Hi - thanks for the updated info - will definitely bear it in mind when updating the installer in upcoming releases.

One point worth noting: 14.04.2 comes with the kernel from utopic (14.10) and Xorg packages from utopic as well (-lts-utopic appended to the name) - so for 14.04.2 and later, if you grab the LTS kernel and X packages, you'll actually be getting more recent graphics support than the installer provides for 14.04.1

Mar 09, 2015 - 04:51pm