Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

DELL E7440 LATITUDE + DELL E-PORT PLUS II + DUAL MONITORS + KUBUNTU 14.04

1 post / 0 new
romain's picture
Starter
romain

Jan 07, 2016 - 10:44am

• Dell E7440 Latitude + Dell E-Port Plus II + Dual Monitors + Kubuntu 14.04 

Hello,

I have follow the insctructions ( HTTPS://01.ORG/COMMENT/REPLY/2785 )
    I use xserver-xorg-video-intel_ 2.99.917-1.

Do not work !

The mouse and keyboard are detected but any monitors are detected. I tried to put only one monitor on DVI-D or VGA, use Monitors settings or xrandr but it is the same things.

When I restart directly in the dock station with mstsupportkernel, I have a prompt in commande line who ask me to give my login and password, startx do not work.

If I choose recoverymodemstSupportKernel and lauch graphic mode, the graphic menu with login and passord works.

How I solve, How I can use my monitors with my dell dock station ?

My config :

Kubuntu 14.04 (Yes Kubuntu)

Dell latitude e7440

Dell E-Port Plus II

lspci | grep "VGA compatible controller"

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[ 42.366] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so

[ 42.368] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so

[ 42.368] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so

[ 42.369] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so

Insctructions :

• Download/Install 'drm-i915-mst-support' kernel branch - Compile a copy of Dave's MST support branch.
    1. wget http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/snapshot/linux-drm-i915-mst-s...
    2. tar xzvf linux-drm-i915-mst-support.tar.gz

3. cd linux-drm-i915-mst-support

4. sudo make-kpkg -j 4 --initrd --append-to-version=mstsupportkernel kernel-image kernel-headers

5. Answer all the kernel configuration questions. You can probably hit enter for almost, if not all, of them. On my end, the 'i915' module support was added automatically.

6. Once the build is complete, you should have two DEB packages in the parent directory of "linux-drm-i915-mst-support". Install those two kernel packages.

7. sudo dpkg -i ../linux*mstsupportkernel*.deb

• Active Grub in startup :

sudo emacs /etc/default/grub
      add # to this line :
      #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
      save this file

in terminal :
      sudo update-grub

At this point, you should be able to reboot and select "Advanced" from GRUB boot menu. Select and boot the new kernel that was compiled (e.g., 'mstSupportKernel'). You should be good to go now, and configure your displays as normal (System Settings > Display). Be sure to check that display "mirroring" isn't enabled though.

Jan 07, 2016 - 10:44am
  • Hi - to start with, since you have a case with a working graphics display (albeit manually started)
    and one without, you want to capture the kernel command lines and compare them -
    They'll be in /proc/cmdline after booting.

Also useful to compare dmesg output in each case, as well as the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(I'm going to ask the admins if they can move this question to the advanced forum,
    as this isn't really an 01.org installer related question)

Jan 12, 2016 - 07:48am