Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Intel Graphics Installer for Ubuntu 15.10 On Dell Latitude E4770

5 posts / 0 new
Milo Dag's picture
Starter
Milo Dag

Dec 06, 2015 - 06:08am

• Hello,

The first time I installed Ubuntu on my Dell Latitude, i7, 16 GB ram everything was running fine.

The machine has an intel integrated graphic card, no external one, it does not have a dedicated graphic card like other machines.

When I checked my additional drivers information tab, it says I´m using intel priopertrary drivers right after installing ubuntu 15.10.

I decided to use the new intel linux graphics driver installer for the new Ubuntu 15.10 OS.

The installation completes fine, but when it asks me to reboot, I choose yes, but the application closes and nothing happens after that.

I rebooted the machine manually and when I checked the aditional drivers information tab, I do not see any specific driver installed. I´m still seeing the default intel prioperarty drivers as default and nothing has changed.

The reason why I want to install the correct drivers is because I hope with this, the OS will run smoother and faster. It is currenlty slow when doing programming or browsing with firefox even with 16 GB of ram.

I was happy that the installation completed but it did not reboot automatically after clicking yes, and I do not see the full graphic card name after rebooting manually, I´m conserned. 

Thank you.

Dec 06, 2015 - 06:08am
  • Hi there - the ubuntu 15.10 release of the 01.org installer doesn't update the graphics
    drivers as u15.10 already had the most recent driver(s) available - I'm not sure why
    ubuntu is using proprietary drivers though: The i915 driver should be the free one.

Can you add a screenshot of the tab whihc talks about proprietary drivers?
    I'd also be interested to see the output of lspci -kvnn - in particular the
    line for your GPU should have a PCI ID [8086:xxxx] on it, eg:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller … Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

and a few lines after that there should be a line like:

Kernel driver in use: i915

With those we should be able to tell the exact GPU you have and which kernel driver is in use.

Dec 07, 2015 - 04:49pm
  • Hello

Here is my output:

milo@::milo-Latitude-E7440:{/home/milo}]$ >  lspci -kvnn
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a16] (rev 0b) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
        Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:05cb]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 45
        Memory at f7800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: i915

Dec 14, 2015 - 01:03pm
  • Well, that's the right driver - i915.ko - you can see where it comes from with

modinfo i915 | grep filename # will tell you where the file is
    modinfo i915 | (read x path && dpkg -S $path) # will tell you which package it came from

Are you seeing any particular slowdowns or instances of poor performance that are of concern?
    Or is it a more general thing?

Dec 15, 2015 - 05:52am
  • it gives me:

linux-image-extra-4.2.0-19-generic: /lib/modules/4.2.0-19-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko

it sometimes is slow, but most of the time pretty fast.

Dec 15, 2015 - 01:38pm
  • Ok - well that's the correct driver for your system, coming from the standard kernel package.
    There will be a newer driver in the 2015-Q4 update of the installer (which will probably be
    out in January since the stack isn't finalised till mid/late December).

If there are specific times when the system is always slow, I'd suggest filing a bug with Ubuntu,
    or posting here with more details - a bit hard to say more without knowing the details.

Dec 24, 2015 - 09:20am