Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with Debian Squeeze

2 posts / 0 new
Souza's picture
Starter
Souza

May 01, 2013 - 07:18pm

• Hi there,

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T420 and the only reason I'm no totally satisfied with it is because of the graphic driver. I'd like to install the latest Graphics Stack release, but, if possible, without all the hassle of installing everything manually and separately. I tried some of the Ubuntu installers, but without sucess.

I'm using the following graphic card and driver:

$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:21ce]
        Kernel driver in use: i915

And this is the Kernel and distro version:

$ cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-rt-686-pae (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.2.41-2~bpo60+1
    $ cat /etc/debian_version

Thanks in avdance!

May 01, 2013 - 07:18pm
  • Hi - I'm afraid the ubuntu installer isn't going to be able to update a debian install -
    different target kernel version means the backport of the driver isn't going to work
    and there's too much dependency skew to be able to pull in the packages directly
    (I chased down the requirements and I think I ended up needing to pull in a newer
    libc) - your best bet is going to be either building the packages yourself (the ubuntu
    packages build fine on debian - it's the dependency chain that involves a lot of yak
    shaving) or pull in packages from backports or experimental or similar.

May 02, 2013 - 05:24am
  • Hi fledermaus, thanks for your reply.

Yes, just after posting the question I started to play around with the packages and realized there was a lot of work to do if I really intended to keep my Sequeeze instead of jumping to the Wheezy release of Debian. I tried Wheezy once but I still can't cope with the new GNOME, so... yeah, I'l check the experimental repository and see what I can get. I'll try to keep this post updated.

May 02, 2013 - 11:43am