Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

"You don’t seem to have an Intel i915 chipset so no updates are needed"

14 posts / 0 new
James Wilson's picture
Starter
James Wilson

Oct 17, 2015 - 11:17am

• Could it have come from a custom PPA I installed? I got the message about "you don't seem to have the i915 chipset" before I introduced the custom PPA, and actually went the custom route when I couldn't get the installer to work.

As an aside, if anyone else has the i7RYH and is having the same issue trying to install on 15.04, I could share instructions on what I did to get everything working (including fixing the screen tearing and getting Steam in home streaming to work.) Don't want to post it here though if it isn't relevent to these forums.. let me know.

Nov 19, 2015 - 04:17pm
  • You can tell for sure with 'apt-cache policy linux-image-extra-3.19.0-32-generic' which will show you where the package would come from if you installed it now - it doesn't look like it comes from a PPA though as it's available on a test install of vanilla ubuntu here - so it does look as if the main repo (well, /updates anyway) has packages which contain a renamed module, but I haven't had a chance to investigate the reason(s) behinf the renaming.

With regards to the instructions, post away - it's always helpful to have instructions for working around problems out in the open so people can find them with a search.

Nov 24, 2015 - 07:15am
  • annon@nuc:~$ apt-cache policy linux-image-extra-3.19.0-32-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-32-generic:
      Installed: 3.19.0-32.37
      Candidate: 3.19.0-32.37
      Version table:
     *** 3.19.0-32.37 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid-updates/main amd64 Packages
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid-security/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I'll post a new thread with the instructions
    Dec 02, 2015 - 06:34pm
  • Thanks for posting those instructions.

I've been doing a bit of digging and the i915_bpo module is a backported i915 driver from a
    newer kernel - but I don't necessarily know which one - which is interesting, because if we
    wanted to replace it we'd have to figure out if we were upgrading it, downgrading or just slotting
    in an equivalent version.

Dec 04, 2015 - 08:48am