Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Black screen after compiling and installing 2013 Q4 from source

6 posts / 0 new
Laurens Hazewinkel's picture
Starter
Laurens Hazewinkel

Dec 23, 2013 - 01:13pm

• Hi all,

I downloaded all packages from the 2013 Q4 stack, and compiled them according to the instructions on this site. But when I restarted my computer, and logged in, I got a black screen with only the mouse visible. To ensure I could repeat this issue and it was not a mistake on my part, I completely wiped my installation and reinstalled Ubuntu again and did the same as before, on a clean install with nothing installed exept for the tools needed to compile the stack, and when I restarted, same result.

Some info about my setup:

I am using Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit.

My hardware is a 2012 11" MacBook Air.

I did not have any ppa's installed.

Tomorrow, I will install Ubuntu fresh again, install all packages one-by-one, and reboot after every install, so I can find which package is causing the problem.

If you have any tips in the mean time, feel free to post them here.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2013 - 01:13pm
  • Ok, so I just finished compiling all of the packages from source and rebooting after every install, and when I installed Mesa and rebooted, black screen. So now I know that it's Mesa that is breaking my installation. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Dec 24, 2013 - 09:01am
  • Hi there, could you please try the mesa 10.0.1 and/or the development branch: git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa

If the error persist with development branch, please report a bug that bugs.freedesktop.org following: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/how-report-bugs

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Jan 15, 2014 - 03:42am
  • Hi there vivijim,

I already tried to do that, and got the same result. What I did was first I downloaded all the source packages from the links in the stack, and after installing it all and rebooting, I got a black screen. I reinstalled Ubuntu and after that I looked up the build guide, and saw you could also clone the git repositories. So I did that exactly as instructed in the documentation, and when I rebooted again, black screen. I reinstalled again and tried to install all of the packages from the stack one-by-one and rebooted after every install. When I rebooted after installing Mesa I got the black screen. I also tried it again with the git repositories and again rebooted after every install, same result. So do you have any ideas what to do next? Maybe find a precompiled version of Mesa 10 for Ubuntu and try that?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 - 05:07am
  • Oh, and I also noticed the new installer version 1.0.3 with support for ubuntu 13.10 is only using 2013Q3, maybe because they have the same issue with Mesa 10?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 - 05:11am
  • Hi there,

I contacted our QA and Mesa teams and nobody ever faced this issue. This is a real bug to be reported at bugs.freedesktop.org. Please file it following this guide https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/how-report-bugs. Also, please let me know the bug number or just cc me at the bug entry.

Regarding the Installer 1.0.3. It should be released before 2013Q4 was released but we faced many build issues here that delayed the release. We are already working on Installer 1.0.4 that will provide 2013Q4 for Ubuntu 13.10 and Fedora 20.

But while 1.0.4 isn't out there and I don't know exactly what is happening with your system, my only suggestion is to report this bug at bugs.freedesktop.org.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your report.

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Jan 16, 2014 - 05:25am
  • P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

Hi,

It seems that I am having the exact same issue on MacBook Air 13'' mid 2013 with Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64 kernel 3.11.0-17-generic.

I installed qt4 dev from synaptic. After reboot I get to the login page, enter my password and then black screen with only my mouse pointer (reactive) and things like sound volume and screen luminosity active. I can still use the command line (Ctrl-Alt-Fx), though an error message is regularly (~every 10sec) printed: ERROR @wl_inform_single_bss : cfg80211_inform_bss_frame_error

Is the issue solved ? I cannot find your bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org, can you give me the bug number ?

Thanks,

Joel

Feb 28, 2014 - 01:29pm
  • Topic locked