Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

cant get 60hz for uhd 3840x2160 with iris pro 5200 on debian testing (mint debian edition)

2 posts / 0 new
scientist's picture
Starter
scientist

Jan 10, 2015 - 11:48am

• I have a laptop with Intel Haswell Quad-Core i7-4750HQ with Iris Pro 5200, a DP 1.2 Cable and a 4K-Monitor with DP 1.2.

It s a dualboot system with Win7 Home Premium and Linux Mint Debian Edition, this is a rolling release based on debian testing.

With Win7 I get laptop (FullHD) plus external UHD 3.820x2160 at 60 Hz from out of the box. Thank you! Great Work!

On Linux Mint I got the same from out of the box, but only @ 30 Hz.

I tried the provided .deb-package from the intel site, and also the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" package from within software manager of Linux Mint. Both dont work, my X.org is too fresh.

As my Hardware is strong enough, I only need the right tweaks to get 60 Hz working on Linux.

I Understand that you cannot provide Gui-Installer for a lot Linux-Distries (maybe you think about Debian ;-) ), but as always X.org is the ghost in the machine, some short steps should do it?

Maybe I only have to advice Xrandr right or modify a xorg.conf? I can do tweaks but I cant do research, this ist far above my skills. Any ideas?

Jan 10, 2015 - 11:48am
  • i played aroud with xrandr a bit but could not get any better.

... also looked up some kernel an Xorg versions, found out that my debian kernel is old. improvements for displayport version 1.2. habe been added to linux kernel 3.17., today only fedora 21 has this as a complet distri (debain, ubuntu, (linuxmint) are far away). older displayport versions (1.1) dont seem to address uhd/4k at 60 hz..

... so maybe i come back later with a fresher OS.

Jan 12, 2015 - 06:34am
  • i tried fedora 21 workstation (linux kernel 3.18):

everything seems to be fine, latop display plus external screen with 3840x2160 at 60 hz from out of the box.

it also switches the desktop to the monitor when i close the laptop (mint did this also without problems).

so, lets see if this fedora blend is something like ... stable ... yum yum.

(hihi, it has no official vlc media player, i thought debian was restrictive ...)

case closed. bye.

Jan 12, 2015 - 10:01pm
  • Topic locked