Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Installer not recognizing an intel hardware [Lenovo x220]

3 posts / 0 new
Baveras's picture
Starter
Baveras

Aug 18, 2013 - 02:25pm

• Hi all,

I am currently trying to install the intel graphics on my laptop, a lenovo x220, as i am currently limited to 1024x768 it seems, but when i run the installer I get:

"You don't seem to have an Intel graphics card, so no updates needed"

and the console output:

(intel-linux-graphics-installer:6667): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    diagnostics-view.c/new_diagnostic: Adding diagnostic for Checking if Intel graphics card available...
    diagnostics-view.c/new_diagnostic: Adding diagnostic for Retrieving information from 01.org...
    diagnostics-view.c/new_diagnostic: Adding diagnostic for Checking distribution...
    diagnostics-view.c/new_diagnostic: Adding diagnostic for Checking kernel version...
    diagnostics-view.c/new_diagnostic: Adding diagnostic for Checking available repositories...
    No LSB modules are available.
    diagnostics-view.c/diagnostics_view_start: Running diagnostic Checking if Intel graphics card available...
    main-window.c/on_diagnostics_finished: Diagnostics finished with an error

Some additional info:

glxinfo | grep Open
    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.0-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

uname -a
    Linux PCJOHBAV5 3.8.0-27-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9 00:17:05 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 13.04
    Release: 13.04
    Codename: raring

Let me know what information you might need me to fetch in order to help you pinpoint the error, please keep in mind that i am not exactly a power user when it comes to linux. Still wet behind the ears when it comes to linux.

Aug 18, 2013 - 02:25pm
  • Hi sajh,

From the 'glxinfo' output it looks like you are running Linux in a virtual machine. See this post for a bit more discussion on why the Installer is not recognizing your Intel GPU in that environment. Long story short, I encourage you to consider dual-booting as opposed to running Linux in a VM. That will allow you to fully utilize your hardware.

Cheers

Aug 19, 2013 - 08:40am
  • Ho thac0!

Thanks for your reply (and I just now realized that i may have placed this post in the wrong part of the forum, sorry for that)

I am actualy not running linux in a virtual machine, however I have virtualbox installed.. but that is to be able to run win7 in a virtual box. Linux runs "natively"

Aug 19, 2013 - 10:49am
  • by the way, i took the cowards way out and downgraded to 12.04 again. So this topic can be considered closed :)

Aug 19, 2013 - 01:56pm
  • Topic locked