Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Problem with Intel HD Graphics 3000 on Ubuntu

2 posts / 0 new
Ivan Koliadynskyy's picture
Starter
Ivan Koliadynskyy

Sep 09, 2013 - 01:03am

• Hello,

Dear All,

I am a new user for Ubuntu. I have HP Pavilion g7 1153er laptop with CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz and ATI Radeon HD 6470M. This mean I have hybrud graphic with Intel HD Graphics 3000 and ATI radeon HD 6470M.

I am trying to install and set up this system during the week but could not completely adjust video. For installation and start up I was need to use "nomodeset" option for Ubuntu 12.04 and "nomodeset apic = off " for Ubuntu 13.04. Otherwise I see blackscreen. When system start first I get error "atiddxProbe: fail to probe intel VGA device"

[    16.580] (II) fglrx: intel VGA device detected, load intel driver.
    [    16.580] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
    [    16.613] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
    [    16.671] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [    16.671]     compiled for 1.13.3, module version = 2.21.6
    [    16.671]     Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [    16.672]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.1
    [    16.673] (II) fglrx(0): pEnt->device->identifier=0x7fb1dbf1a0d0
    [    16.677]
    Fatal server error:
    [    16.677] atiddxProbe: fail to probe intel VGA device
    [    16.677] (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
     for help.
    [    16.677] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
    [    16.677] (EE)

Than in low graphic error manager I select Reconfig graphics-> Use general settings and this remove  /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After reboot I can use Ubuntu but without complete video support and possibility switch to radeon.

I have tried to use Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 with  all updates installed including catalyst drvers and newest intel drivers for Ubuntu 13.04 but each time when I generate xorg.conf file and reboot I am getting described above error "atiddxProbe: fail to probe intel VGA device".

Could you please help me to define steps for solution this problem? I have asked about this at different forums and blogs but haven't got any solution and sometimes even answers yet :)

Thanks

Sep 09, 2013 - 01:03am
  • If you want to use your Intel GPU my suggestion is to configure your Xorg to use intel X driver instead of fglrx.

Sep 10, 2013 - 10:46am
  • Thanks for reply.

I have checked all this info but this havent helped me. On one forum I have get reply with suggestion to use acpi_backlight=vendor option for grub and this helped a lot. With using acpi_backlight=vendor option without nomodest I have seen right graphics for ubuntu 12.04 but havent set hybrid graphics there right.

Than I have tried to do the same with Ubuntu 13.04. And with:
    1) “acpi_backlight=vendor” option for installation
    2) installed intel driver(https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads)
    3) checked grub configuration,
    $ sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    keeped “acpi_backlight=vendor”, and  removed “nomodeset” from there to get GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"
    $ sudo update-grub
    4) installed ati catalyst according to http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Raring_Installation_Guide#Installing_Proprietary_Drivers_a.k.a._Catalyst.2Ffglrx
    And after this I have got all my problems solved

The main main reason of atiddxProbe: fail to probe intel VGA device was using of “nomodeset” for boot.

Sep 11, 2013 - 04:47am
  • Topic locked