Jul 21, 2014 - 09:19pm
I'm completely new to this. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on a new Dell desktop. I am having a problem with Xorg and compiz using >60% of a CPU. I think this is because my graphics driver is not being recognized, and so software is being used as the accelerator as opposed to the card.
My card is Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core. Please take a look at the output below and ask me if I am leaving out important information. I'd be grateful for any advice. I think the telling lines are the "Not software rendered: no," the "(EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)," and the "AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable; AIGLX: reverting to software rendering" are the informative lines.
I have updated the Intel driver. Note that I was having this problem BEFORE I updated to the most recent driver, and I was hoping it would be fixed in the update process. It was not.
Linux xxx 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lshw -c video
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
width: 64 bits
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list
resources: memory:f7800000-f7bfffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
This issue continue. Other anomalies I've noted that might be related:
My monitor is detected as a "built in display" and the resolution cannot be changed. I figure this must be related. (I have an external monitor.)
Output of xrandr --verbose:
Well I installed the Device Driver Manager from Intel. It properly lists my graphics hardware as Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller, but the activated driver is the frambuffer display driver (fbdev). It gives me the option to, instead, activate the intel driver (version 2:2.99:910-0ubuntu1) with "Recommended" in the description. That's all fine and dandy. But at the moment I'm running some computations that won't complete for another 4 hours, so I can't restart. When I do , I'll update this thread with any result.
Intel's DDM tool gave me hope, but it was no use. "Activating the driver" had no influence on the driver that was recognized on boot, and it reverts back to Gallium 0.4.
I started over with a clean install, and the driver is now recognized. I was lucky that this was a new computer without much on it, otherwise I wouldn't have been so quick to give up.