Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Primary tabs

support gma 3600

5 posts / 0 new
01 Staff's picture
Starter
01 Staff (not verified)

May 03, 2013 - 01:01pm

• 01 Staff's picture
    01 Staff (not verified)

Hi I wonder if there is support for the processor and graphics chip gma 3600 intel atom N2600 Linux or later will support 2D and 3D graphic for the gma 3600, thanks

May 03, 2013 - 01:01pm
  • victorjfer's picture
    victorjfer (not verified)

I join to the petition. Actually we have privative 2d drivers but we don't have support to 3d or a reasonable performance for a reasonable video reproduction. Please do something :)

May 17, 2013 - 05:15am
  • Reproduced from the FAQ page:

Due to the complex package dependencies of the binary graphics drivers for the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series used in the Intel® Atom™ Processor N2600 Series and Intel® Atom™ Processor N2800 Series, supported drivers are only available through your device manufacturer or through Linux distributions providing support for the Intel® GMA 3600. An unsupported version of the binary driver is also available at

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty, and is bound by the license terms included with the download package.

May 22, 2013 - 04:03pm
  • victorjfer's picture
    victorjfer (not verified)

Great polite answer but we wanted that you do something real. Always a pleasure buy your products. :)

May 31, 2013 - 03:45am
  • ichigo22's picture
    ichigo22 (not verified)

yes but want something better, the driver that has the gma 3600 is Megoo operating system and there is an adaptation for other Linux distributions such is no more driver supports for underlying distributions that have the 3.2 kernel to the new DepNet.com for 3.5 and 3.8 kernel is not supported, graphic acceleration you have with this controller is very bad no 3d and 2d acceleration is very bad horn to work text or web pages, what we want is a driver with good support 2D and 3d and this actualisado well as other intel graphics prosesadores want the same support and quality there are many linux users who want a good driver
    thanks

Jun 03, 2013 - 09:28am
  • texadactyl's picture
    texadactyl (not verified)

Ichigo,

Intel has effectively abandoned the GMA3600/3650 Linux users.  For example, my motherboard is called an "Intel D2550MUD2" i.e. an INTEL product employing a CedarTrail dual-core D2550 Atom CPU and PowerVR SGX 545 graphics (GMA3650).  My board limps along with a gma500_gfx kernel module (inappropriate but ok) and an X-Windows modesetting video driver (It's the best that I can do). My other Intel builds in the past had Intel-provided kernel modules and X-Windows video graphics drivers.

The excuse from Intel for not providing adequate Linux support for Intel products employing CedarTrail Atom CPUs and GMA3600/3650 graphics is given here: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2013/intelr-graphics-installer-1.0.3-linux.

I trusted Intel based on their Linux community activity and my positive experience in the past.  I have to admit that in my case, I should have known before I bought the board that with more thorough research, I would have come to the conclusion that the D2550MUD2 motherboard was a poor Linux product.  Who I really feel sorry for are the netbook and tablet users who tried to use Linux and were surprised.

"Meego"?  Customer support from a dead-end?  Not to mention the hours of chasing your tail debugging the various components from several vendors.  Waste of time.

Even the Windows support for GMA3600/3650 is inadequate.  Only 32-bit Windows 7 has a graphics driver for CedarTrail and this is dated 8/3/2012.

I suggest that you go to http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/intel-listen-to-the-community-and-develop-gma3600-drivers-for-linux and sign the petition if you want to vent your frustration with Intel.  Join the hordes!  (-:

Fortunately for me, my D2550MUD2 motherboard only cost around $80.00.  I'll recycle it responsibily, re-use my other components, and buy a motherboard from one of Intel's competitors (with an AMD or ARM CPU and probably with NVIDIA graphics).  It is clear that the netbook and tablet users have a larger investment.

For me, it's a lesson learned.  Intel has probably lost a customer although I doubt if they care. 

Jan 23, 2014 - 04:20pm