Open Media Streamer (OMS) is an end to end audio/video communication development kit based on WebRTC, which is used to create high-performance, reliable, and scalable real-time communication solutions. OMS is optimized for Intel® Architecture to take full advantage of Intel hardware-acceleration for video encode/decode/scale, and integrated real time video analytics capabilities powered by the OpenVINO™ toolkit. OMS is released under Apache* License 2.0 and it is free for both academic and commercial use.
OMS client SDKs were released at the end of 2018, while OMS server is planned to be released in Q1, 2019.
Intel provides Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC) as Intel’s distribution of OMS.
OMS client SDKs
The client SDKs for OMS builds on top of the W3C standard WebRTC APIs to accelerate development of real-time communications (RTC), including broadcast, peer-to-peer, and conference mode communications.
Five versions of the SDK allow development of real-time communication applications:
- Android* applications using the client SDK for Android
- iOS* applications using the client SDK for iOS
- Windows* applications using the client SDK for Windows
- Linux* applications using the client SDK for Linux
The server for OMS provides an efficient video conference and streaming service that is based on WebRTC. It scales a single WebRTC stream out to many endpoints. At the same time, it enables media analytics capabilities for media streams. It features:
- High performance VP8, VP9, H.264, and HEVC real-time transcoding on Intel® Core™ and Intel® Xeon® processors, especially those with Intel® Iris® Pro or Intel® HD Graphics
- Distributed, scalable, and reliable multipoint control unit (MCU) server and analytics server
- Wide streaming protocols support including WebRTC, RTSP, RTMP, HLS, MPEG-DASH
- Efficient mixing of HD video streams to save bandwidth and power on mobile devices
- An intelligent Quality of Service (QoS) control mechanism that adapts to different network environments
- Customer defined media analytics plugins to perform analytics on streams from MCU
- The usage scenarios for real-time media analytics including but not limited to movement/object detection
OpenVINO is a trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries.