Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Feedback

Your feedback is important to keep improving our website and offer you a more reliable experience.

backport of 2013q1 to older Ubuntu kernels

1 post / 0 new
Levente Levai's picture
Starter
Levente Levai

Jun 13, 2013 - 06:10pm

• We use a Ubuntu 12.04 system with a custom kernel (built from 3.4.0-5 stock Ubuntu kernel with minor customizations). The problem is that we experience gpu hangs with the intel gfx driver comming with that kernel source on new Celeron 1000M cpus. We started to build a new system based on 13.04 with a 3.9 kernel (again slightly customized) and the hang issues gone away with the newer drivers in the new kernel tree.

Since we need to support a wide range of hardware (not only Intel garphics units) building a new systeem involves large amount of regression checking. So I thought maybe we can backport the latest kernel dirver or the whole graphics stack to the older system to use in affected cases.

My questions are:

is anybody has experience with this or knows that this was already done?

what are our chances, is this a reasonable project?

BR

Levente

Jun 13, 2013 - 06:10pm
  • Hello levail,

Backporting is never easy, as you no doubt know. When the Graphics Installer supported 12.04 (it no longer does now) we had to package a backport for that kernel. I haven't removed it (yet) from our 01.org download site, so you can peruse the source package use it as a reference for backporting i915 from whichever kernel meets your requirements. Our backport utilizes dkms.

When you begin backporting, I would highly recommend opening communication channels with our kernel development community.

Cheers

Jun 14, 2013 - 07:10am
  • Topic locked